Eric Adams, the first sitting mayor of New York City to be indicted in a major federal investigation, says that the federal government is targeting him because of the migrant crisis.
Mayor Claims Federal Indictment is a Response to His Stance on Migrant Crisis

Mayor Eric Adams said he always knew that standing up for New Yorkers would make him a target, and now he feels he has become one. In a statement to The Post, he declared, "If I am charged, I am innocent, and I will fight this with all my strength."
In a video later, Adams said he won't resign and will continue to fight against what he sees as unfair treatment. He promised to ask for a quick trial so New Yorkers can hear the truth about him. He emphasized that he has always fought against injustice and will keep doing so as mayor. He mentioned that, despite the challenges from the federal government and its immigration policies, he has always prioritized the people of New York over politics.
A spokesperson for the U.S. Attorney’s Office, which is handling the case, did not provide any comments. Sources told The Post that two other people, Brianna Suggs, Adams' top fundraiser, and Winnie Greco, his Director of Asian Affairs, are expected to be named in the indictment.
At least three other people are also expected to be charged, but The Post could not confirm who they are right away.
After the indictment news, police set up barriers outside Gracie Mansion, where the mayor lives, and kept reporters away from the house.
Around 11:50 p.m., Adams' former chief of staff, Frank Carone, came out of the mansion. When reporters asked if Adams was distracted by his legal issues, Carone said, “not at all.”
About half an hour later, three black SUVs left the mansion with their emergency lights on.
It's unclear how the indictment connects to a series of raids on September 4 that targeted several high-profile officials in Adams' administration. These raids caused a lot of concern at City Hall as reports surfaced about investigations into possible corruption among the mayor's team.
By Wednesday morning, rumors spread that a "senior" official from City Hall would soon be indicted, leading to panic among the staff throughout the day.
Adams' 2021 campaign was previously served subpoenas for information about its donations, particularly those linked to Turkey, according to sources from The Post.
In July, more subpoenas were issued asking for details about interactions between city officials and countries like Israel, China, Qatar, South Korea, and Uzbekistan. That same month, Adams, City Hall, and his election committee received grand jury subpoenas, allowing federal investigators to access text messages, documents, and other communications.
Adams has been critical of the Biden administration's immigration policies, saying New York City has been overwhelmed with over 250,000 migrants since 2022 and accusing the federal government of neglecting the city. He stated, "The national government has turned its back on New York City," and called for a dedicated official to manage the situation at the border. The migrant crisis could cost the city more than $12 billion by 2026, and Adams has repeatedly asked for more funding from Washington.

In December 2023, he expressed frustration, saying, “I am lost. I am confused on this topic… why we’re still talking about this issue.”
The U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of New York has kept quiet about the investigation, which began with a raid on top fundraiser Brianna Suggs' home in Brooklyn. This raid looked for evidence of illegal donations from the Turkish government and a construction company connected to Adams’ campaign. Following this, federal agents also raided the homes of City Hall staff and others involved in Adams’ transition team. A week later, FBI agents seized Adams' phones and iPad in Manhattan.
In February, another aide, Winnie Greco, had her home raided by FBI agents, although it was unclear if it was related to the Turkey investigation.
Adams has consistently denied any wrongdoing, stating in August, “It takes a great deal of discipline to not say something when you know you’ve done nothing wrong.”
This indictment marks the first time a New York City mayor has faced charges in 170 years. While past mayors have faced investigations, they usually ended with lower-level aides being charged. Former Mayor Jimmy Walker resigned in 1932 during an investigation but was never charged.
This indictment comes amid several federal investigations into City Hall and other city officials, following a series of raids on Adams’ close allies and aides.
Federal prosecutors in Manhattan are leading many of the investigations, but they have not shared details about their goals, possible charges, or how the investigations might connect. So far, no one has been charged or accused of any wrongdoing in these other investigations.



Comments
There are no comments for this story
Be the first to respond and start the conversation.