US-Iran Nuclear Talks in Geneva: Progress, Red Lines, and Rising Military Tensions
On Tuesday (17 February), following the second round of negotiations between the United States and Iran in Geneva, both Washington and Tehran expressed concerns as well as some encouraging statements.
After the meeting, U.S. Vice President J.D. Vance said that diplomatic talks between the United States and Iran had gone well “in some respects,” and that both sides had agreed to hold another meeting. Meanwhile, Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi stated that “an understanding on fundamental principles” had been reached with the United States.
Vance also said that Iran is still not prepared to accept certain “red lines” defined by President Trump.
He indicated that the United States would continue on the diplomatic path, but that President Trump would ultimately decide “when to abandon diplomacy.” He added that Washington does not expect matters to reach that point, “but if they do, the decision will be President Trump’s.”
On the other hand, Araghchi described the second round of talks as more positive than the first. He said that both sides would prepare two draft versions of a possible agreement document and exchange them. “However, this does not mean we will reach an agreement soon, but we have certainly started moving along the path toward one.”
Araghchi further said that there are still some issues requiring additional work.
Meanwhile, Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian stated that his country is ready to allow “verification” that Iran is not seeking to develop nuclear weapons.
In remarks published on the presidential website, Pezeshkian said: “We are absolutely not trying to acquire nuclear weapons, and if anyone wants to verify this, we are ready to take the necessary steps.”
The Iranian president added that Tehran will never abandon its “peaceful” nuclear program.
Comments
There are no comments for this story
Be the first to respond and start the conversation.