The Swamp logo

Iran Prepares Nuclear Counterproposal as U.S. Considers Limited Military Strikes

Tehran readies nuclear deal draft as Washington weighs limited strikes amid stalled talks and rising military tensions

By Fiaz Ahmed Published about 10 hours ago 3 min read

Tensions between the United States and Iran over Tehran’s nuclear programme have intensified this week as Iranian officials prepare a draft nuclear counterproposal while Washington weighs the possibility of limited military strikes if diplomacy fails to yield a deal, according to multiple government and diplomatic sources.
Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said on Friday that Tehran expects to have a draft proposal ready for delivery to U.S. negotiators within the next two to three days, following indirect talks earlier this week in Geneva. Araghchi suggested that although significant disagreements remain, there is room for negotiation on measures to ensure Iran’s nuclear activities remain peaceful.
“We have not offered any suspension [of enrichment] and the U.S. side has not asked for zero enrichment,” Araghchi said in a televised interview, adding that discussions are focused on safeguards and confidence-building measures. He said the two sides had agreed on some guiding principles but that a full agreement was not yet within reach.
U.S. Pressure and Military Options
Meanwhile, Donald Trump has publicly warned that the United States is considering limited military action to compel Tehran to accept terms on its nuclear programme, setting an informal deadline of roughly 10–15 days for a diplomatic breakthrough. Trump said on Friday that he is “considering” a limited strike to pressure Iran, framing it as a necessary step if talks falter.
U.S. military planners have reportedly advanced options that include targeted strikes against specific military and leadership infrastructure, as well as contingencies that could involve broader measures if conflict escalates. Some officials even discussed the possibility of actions aimed at regime figures, though no formal order has been issued.
The massive U.S. military presence already deployed in the Middle East — including aircraft carriers, fighters, and support assets — underscores the seriousness of Washington’s intent to use force if deemed necessary. Observers say the deployment is meant to signal resolve and deter miscalculation, but also complicates diplomatic channels.
Diplomatic Efforts and Objections
Despite the military rhetoric, both sides have emphasised a preference for diplomacy. Araghchi reiterated that Iran seeks a peaceful resolution and that it believes a deal is possible “in a very short period of time,” provided that negotiations focus on practical confidence-building and safeguards rather than maximalist demands. He rejected calls for Iran to permanently cease enrichment, especially without corresponding sanction relief, arguing that peaceful enrichment is a right recognized for many nations.
Foreign diplomats and international organisations, including the United Nations, have expressed concern over the deteriorating rhetoric, urging both sides to keep diplomacy alive and avoid actions that could spiral into wider conflict. Some envoys have warned that military action would risk destabilising not only Iran but the broader region, affecting energy markets and global security cooperation.
Regional and Global Implications
Analysts say Iran’s move to prepare a formal counterproposal reflects a strategic calculation to avoid direct confrontation and safeguard its nuclear programme while winning sanction relief and international recognition of its rights to peaceful nuclear activities. Tehran’s insistence on maintaining enrichment, coupled with its resistance to zero-enrichment demands, remains a central sticking point in negotiations.
In Washington, the suggestion of limited strikes has prompted debate in Congress, with some lawmakers calling for stronger congressional oversight over any military action, citing constitutional authority and fears of entanglement in another Middle Eastern conflict. Others stress the need to uphold U.S. security and prevent Iran from approaching nuclear weapons capability.
What Comes Next
Iran’s counterproposal, expected within days, could open the door to renewed talks if both sides are willing to compromise. However, with President Trump’s timeline and the spectre of military action looming, the next two weeks are likely to be decisive. Observers warn that continued friction could either push the parties back to the negotiating table with a clearer framework or escalate into direct conflict with far-reaching consequences for the region and beyond.

politics

About the Creator

Fiaz Ahmed

I am Fiaz Ahmed. I am a passionate writer. I love covering trending topics and breaking news. With a sharp eye for what’s happening around the world, and crafts timely and engaging stories that keep readers informed and updated.

Reader insights

Be the first to share your insights about this piece.

How does it work?

Add your insights

Comments

There are no comments for this story

Be the first to respond and start the conversation.

Sign in to comment

    Find us on social media

    Miscellaneous links

    • Explore
    • Contact
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms of Use
    • Support

    © 2026 Creatd, Inc. All Rights Reserved.